Father’s Day #71

 

worst day 

forced

to remember



i


bad days

sent

to the basement


pants down

told

to feel guilty


angry

can’t

let him hear me


one day

won’t

let him near me



ii


good days

laughing

in our campground


swimming

In the river


diving

from the high rock

(photo: grandpa diving, too)


cooking

on the griddle



striding

through the mountains


riding

through the deserts

(photo: Pueblo girl and me)


fishing

In the ocean


playing

picnic baseball


watching

late-night movies

(photo: me between his knees)



iii


long nights

sitting

in motel rooms


slowly

watching

him get drunker


listening

as his

words come tumbling:


fearful

he won’t

find a job now


tearful

mourning

his lost family


weeping 

why’d my

mother leave him


moaning

all his

bad decisions


loathing

who he

sees inside him


owning

up to

his addictions


snarling

at his

very being


growling

“should have 

done it long ago”


falling

into 

snoring sleeping




iv


long days

apart

from my children


silence

expands

yearly wider


I feel

unsure

how to bridge it


thinking

have I

somehow hurt them?



is their

need for

father over


and I

simply

no more matter?


I keep

sending

my weak signals


hearing 

nothing

but more silence


learning

little

gaining patience




v


old days

known from

whispered stories --


from a

window

in an office


to the

pavement

of Dearborn Street


it was

sixty-

four feet and change


and my

father’s

father flew it


swift and

silent

and his landing


turned his

young wife

to a widow


and his

two boys

to half-orphans:


to be 

honest, 

though, they didn’t


really

know him

as a parent


he was

more like

an old uncle


who came

weekends

from the city


took them

fishing

and on Sunday


walked with

them and 

with their mother


to the

church where

he was laid out


wearing 

flowers

and his best suit


vi


Happy

Father’s 

Day the cheerful


cards shout

brightly

from the store shelves


voices

echo

on the TV


as my

laptop

fills with photos


and my

heart shrinks

back a little


reaches

for a

pen and paper


takes me

to a

quiet corner


where the

joy and grief

are one

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts




"I wrote my first poem at 14, to struggle with a loss...
It's been a way of working through crises ever since.
But it's also become a way of celebrating moments (hence my love of haiku),
and exploring our intense feelings.
I haven't sought to publish my poetry since
I was in my early 20s... Now, I simply want to make it
available to whomever it was given me for."