Among Mad People: A Therapist's Notebook (1993 - 1995)

   Precept


Do not go

among mad people

to make them like us

 

as, in the

old tales, saints

taught wolves to speak.

 

Go

to learn how

we are and can become

 

like them.

Think instead

of the prodigal son.

 

Only the one

who falls into

his "wild living," spending

 

his inheritance

among the poor and

outcast is of use to me.

 

What did you get

life for?  Or the one

about the talents.

 

To hoard it?

Then that is

your reward, and what

 

you store

will be taken away.

It is hard to confess but

 

"like us" is a

lie, a defense, not

healing:  mad people hold

 

the medicine

for souls, keys

to unlock our dark forests,

 

and we are asking

if they will share it.

Not trying to take it away

 

so they

become lost among

the malls with us.

 

 

 

    Infected

I am learning to listen to madness, in others, in me.

It has a far more familiar sound than I might once have imagined.

    But by now it is no surprise.

              A disappointment, almost, how domestic the devils are.

              Yet having lived with them so long, in the closets and covered wells,

                                  the basements and the attics of me, hidden between the leaves

                                  of my albums, how could I not know them, own them?

 

So where is the dashing, numinous power who will overwhelm and transcend me?

Where is the dark, goat-footed god, phosphor fire in his sea-soaked beard,

              who would shatter the walls of my world and carry me

              anywhere, up, out, down, beneath, beyond --

Where is the archetype whose electric power

              will seize me and strike me, stuck and dancing,

                              on his terrifying high-voltage lines,

                              burning the sap from my cells?

Peace, soul: they are here.

 

But the way is not that way.  Not now.

It seems to begin in lying down and lassitude,

              solitude and silence and sitting.  Punctuated

              by sleep, and heat, and breezes.  Visited by

              the men and women who visit madness,

              are visited by it, visit me, receive my visits ...

and letting the stories begin their enfolding unfolding. 

 

 

    Dayroom


Silent images of cars fly by

              outside the window:

their reflections race at odd angles

              across the polished surfaces

              of the plastic desk accessories:

lighted bubbles rise, rosy, in the fish tank

              toward the water's pink shiny skin:

pingpong balls bounce arhythmically off wood

 

while voices talk and laugh

and piano melodies fall into the room,

              popping off brick and linoleum,

              not swallowed by the rug:

a fan whirls slowly, chopping fluorescent light

              into pie slices ... pardon me,

did you speak?

 

 

 

    Voices


Do I have voices

              people powers

                                  in my head

                                  in my life

who make things difficult for me

              get me in trouble

              tell me to do certain things

                                  in certain ways

who punish me if I tell?

 

Luis does.  I do, too.

 

It says on his chart

              his are hallucinations.

I call mine family.

 

What are the differences?

              (these differences

              may be important:

              Luis is behind bars

              all day and all night;

              I visit him

              four days a week

              and then go home)

 

 

 

 

                                Performance Review


                                                      Fitting in here

                                                                                  is not about

                                  fitting in here but

                                                                                  about                        not fitting is

                                                      not fitting in here               how i fit

                                                                                  finding                        is my work

                                                      how I don't fit

 

                        again

                                  not in fits of despair

                                                      but slipping loose & mad

crazy is                                                                                             & free

my                                                                                                here too

home                                                                                                there too

 

                                                      peace?  peace?

                                                                                                                                        here too

                                                                who cries peace

                                                      when there is no peace

                                            except                                                                       in the struggle

                                                                                                                                                                    to find peace 

 

 

 

                             Bull


                              Taurus

                              tore us

                        open

                                  loose

                        bleeding

                                  adrift

                              ecstatic

 

I had a style

    everyone said they recognized it,

even I began to --

light, airy, graceful --

                                        I have it no more!

                                                                          no more!

 

in the shit and the mud and the blood and the dirt

                                        style is denial

 

 

    Meeting the Emperor


I met the emperor of the Chippewa nation today.

 

His face is on all the bills

                                            ("Bill," his name)

but not everyone can see it -- it's transparent.

 

You know, like his broken ankle.

 

The ankle was broken by torture:

they've been torturing him since he was 14 months old.

 

And he was kidnapped.

 

                        Yes, I know why I'm in the hospital

                                            (he says)

                        it was because I attempted suicide.  Shot myself

                        here

                                            (touches the gashes and puckers where

                                            the left side of his mouth twists far into

                                            his face, emptying the space

                                            where a cheek and lower jaw once were)

                        That was 15 years ago.

                        I been in the system ever since.

 

                        Never tried suicide again.  Never even thought about it.

 

                        They hung a murder beef on me

                        after I was incarcerated.  But

                        I was in another state

                        when the murder happened.

                        The lady ... the name they told me ... I didn't

                        know it, didn't know who ... I was in

                        another state.

                        My lawyer beat the charge.

                        They hauled me back to Minnesota

                        then sent me back again.

 

                        Do I know why I got sent

                        here?

                                        (a locked ward in the desert

                                         beside a freeway)

                              Probly because of the altercation I was in:

                        this guy was messing with my girlfriend, hitting on her,

                        I intervened.  He got eight stitches.

                        I could've restrained him better,

                        but he was too big -- I was afraid, he was so big,

                        so that's why I hit him so hard.

 

                        Never been in another altercation in 15 years,

                        15 years in the system.

 

The government,

                                            (he has said,

                                            in another room

                                            with one shrink and a desk)

is after him.

 

They want his reasoning computer:

it's transparent, but they want it.

 

The reasoning computer also punishes him:

Got freezer burn in Minnesota.

                                            (Bill also joked loudly

                                            with several other men in group therapy

                                            today, his first day,

                                            upon finding two were guys

                                            he'd known in the last lockup)

 

                        Do you know

                                            (he asked the shrink

                                            during the raucous session)

                        what's going on here?

 

                                                   (But no joking

                                                   during a staffing)

                        I've done hundreds of staffings

                                                   (he has told the shrink

                                                   in another room;

                                                   here, he talks about

                                                   suicide and knowing he is mentally ill)

                        Because I tried to kill myself,

                        but I beat that one;  when I get out

                        I won't even own a gun

                                            (and wanting to go to a board-and-care

                                            and get a new plastic jaw, and teeth, and lip.

                                            The few teeth he has

                                            fit together perfectly,

                                            the three on the bottom settling

                                            into one of the spaces on top

                                            each time he stops speaking)

 

The reasoning computer also kills.

 

It froze his blood, which is why

his ankle and other injuries are transparent.

 

Now that he has so much money,

being emperor and controlling the mint,

                                            (he has told the shrink

                                            in another room)

his parents are interested in him.

 

                                            (As Bill talks he rubs

                                            his limbs, stroking the hair

                                            on his arms all in one direction, down,

                                            a movement called conciliatio in Latin,

                                            currying in stables;

                                            Bill strokes his thighs toward his knees

                                            through his slacks;

                                            when not being stroked, his legs

                                            bob up and down rapidly, first one

                                            and then the other)

 

                                            (He has not told us today about being emperor,

                                            or about the Chippewa of Minnesota, where

                                            he grew up and was punished, or about

                                            the rape and the arson,

                                            also on his record sheets

                                            and not, apparently, dismissed.

                                            He does not know the name

                                            of his new medications.  Nor has he said

                                            anything about

                                            frozen blood, transparent wounds or

                                            the reasoning computer. 

                                            Or the government or his parents.)

 

I been in the system 15 years

                                            (he does say)

when you been in that long

it's hard getting out.

 

 

 

    Sainthood

Joan

hears voices

and does

what they tell her

tells

who they point her to

 

joan

sleeps alone

in a room

with a steel door

drab

colors everywhere

 

joan

has few clothes

no job

no family

an aunt

comes on tuesdays

sometimes

 

Would it

cost

this much

to speak my truth?

 

 

 

    Practice


the way of the

therapist:

 

first

              (you draw)

the boundary

 

then

              (you invite)

complete

disorganization

Comments

Popular Posts




"I wrote my first poem at 14, to struggle with a loss...
It's been a way of working through crises ever since.
But it's also become a way of celebrating moments (hence my love of haiku),
and exploring our intense feelings.
I haven't sought to publish my poetry since
I was in my early 20s... Now, I simply want to make it
available to whomever it was given me for."