Mothership

freighted

with a life

you sailed 

into the bay


trusting

safe from harm

to bring it

shoreward:


boarded 

in the night

rechristened

(mother, wife)


you had

to find a way

to carry forward:


marooned

by that rough arm

the held you

til the light


you learned

the shifting tides

and kept to leeward:


the gifts

hid in your hold

you laid

upon the land


and sought

a helping hand

to be their steward:


'tis eighty

years and more

since you

laid down your store


and gave

the world the goods

you had been stowing:


and twenty

since you left

your hull

and spars bereft


and sailed

above the winds

beyond our knowing:


we know

now that a name

could never 

fitly frame


the presence

that you poured

into our history:


and so

we thankful bow

before

what we allow


is mystery

Comments

Popular Posts




"I wrote my first poem at 14, to struggle with a loss...
It's been a way of working through crises ever since.
But it's also become a way of celebrating moments (hence my love of haiku),
and exploring our intense feelings.
I haven't sought to publish my poetry since
I was in my early 20s... Now, I simply want to make it
available to whomever it was given me for."